Thursday, 9 June 2011

24th May 2011!! It's Desiree's day!

Mummy is slow. Finally have some free time to come here. It has been rather hectic after I popped. Let me start with my "birth story".

On 23rd May at about 10+ pm, I realised I started to have contractions with regular intervals. Then I went to toilet and I had bloody show. So I asked my doctor friend if I should admit and she said I should immediately. Went to the hospital at 11+ pm and the nurse put me on CTG. Coincidentally, my gynae was still around after he did c-sec for another patient. He came to see me and saw that my cervix was effacated but not dilated yet. So, he instructed the nurse to monitor my CTG. If CTG is reactive but contraction not that regular yet and contraction is still manageable, I can be released and monitor my own situation. But need to go back if the intensity and frequency increases. Since my contraction was only 7-8min apart and intensity was manageable, I was sent home and instructed to go back if it is less than 5 min.

However, the whole night, I couldn't sleep coz my contraction came very regularly and on 24th May 6+ am, I couldn't take it anymore, so I told my hubby I want to admit . Reached hospital around 7+ am and put on CTG. So happened my gynae came in shortly to look on another patient so he shun bian came and see me. He did VE for me and told me I was 1.5-2cm dilated already, so I continued to stay in the observation ward. Initially I wanted to try laughing gas, but the midwife said I was already in distress and if I have intention to get Epi, I should just order it first. I totally agree coz I was in quite bad condition already. My face was totally pale and tried the laughing gas temporarily, it didn't really work for me.

The anaesthetist came at about 8+ am. Thankfully the midwife told her to attend to me first since I was really in distress. Lol. After that, the pain was relieved but I wasn't exactly in heaven. Somehow I kept feeling some pain down there around the cervix area. Asked the midwife, she said it's probably the pressure exerted there. Asked the staff nurse, she said it's probably my imagination or something. Then my gynae so happened to come and check on me at 11+ am and he was shocked. He told me I was fully dilated and can see the hair already. He told the nurse about it and ask them to prepare the labour ward for me.

After that is wait wait and wait again. I kept asking the nurse when was I going to the labour ward and they said they were preparing the bed etc. Apparently a lot of people were delivering and Thomson Medical Center machiam full house. I kept having this feeling that my baby wanted to come out coz I had this urge to push. But I told my baby cannot push and I tried to surpress by singing nursery rhymes to her. Lol it worked! So everytime there's contraction, I would sing to her. I was only pushed to the labour ward around 2pm. And my 1st tube of Epi was finishing! I was a bit pissed, then I have to order a 2nd tube. I was also quite angry with the nurse who pushed me in, coz she didn't seem to know anything though she's quite senior looking. I asked her to check the previous dosage of Epi I had and she doesn't seem to know what I meant. My contraction started to feel bad again.

It's another waiting game in the labour ward, waiting for my chance to push. The nurse found out that I had fever. So they had to give me medication for the fever before I could start to push. I started to be very sick and nausea and in super daze mode. Even when I was pushing, I was half asleep and I had vomited sometimes. They said they could see my baby's hair but I really couldn't take it, so I asked if I could have assisted delivery, perhaps with vacuum. Finally they asked my gynae to come since vacuum can only be administered by gynae. My gynae was like saying, he was wondering why they took so long to call him, he had been waiting for their call. O btw, his clinic was in Thomson Medical Center itself.

With vacuum, my baby was out in 3 pushes. Then my gynae said he knows why I had a hard time to push. Coz my baby was a naughty girl, she was in a posterior position and she was cord coiled too. So, it was not easy for my baby to come out. Anyway thank god everything is fine! But coz I had fever during the delivery, my baby had to be under observation for 24 hours. I couldn't bf for that day.

The next day, my gynae gave me the green light to discharge and so did the pediatrician for my baby. Most of my friends were shocked I only stayed 1 night. Lol.

Anyway that's my birth story. Very long winded. Hehe. The following are some pictures captured in the labour ward, and probably the ugliest you would ever seen of me. Disclaimer: Some photos might be hard to stomach and not for the weak-hearted!

In a daze...
Finally she's out and in my arms..
Dr Tham with Ed cutting the umbilical cord
The nurse was sucking out the phelgm in her nose
Nursy cleaning her
Her life support system for 9 months.. the placenta..
Loud cry with tears some more!!
Mummy had fever during labour..
Desiree posing for her photo with mummy..
Till today it's still her fave pose..
Odd-shaped skull due to vacuum, but it's cleared after 1 day!
Her weight at birth..
Her birth length..
Measuring her head circumference..
Eyes even wider than mummy's
To the ward with mummy!
First family photo!
I hope next time when Desiree grows up and read this entry, she would know how much mummy had gone through to bring her to this world. Lol. It was really a very tedious process!!

No comments:

Post a Comment